St Joseph and St Mary Parishes in Freeport, IL

What's new for St Joseph and St Mary Parishes!

Leave a comment

Symbolism in the Church #6

The high altar does not stand alone like the front altar. Most noticeably, it has what is known as the reredos. They are decorations that extend from the back of the altar to help focus on the sacrifice on the altar, the same sacrifice that lives in the tabernacle. Ours here at St Joseph is very rich in symbolism and teaching moments, more than in most I find.
First, the gold reminds us of the majesty of God. It is most evidently a golden palace. How many grandparents take their grandchildren to church here and the kids get it? It’s a great castle! Yes, a great golden castle for Jesus. That is truly where He lives, at the very center, the tabernacle. And in this majestic castle, we are invited to live, too, because in this castle there are many rooms for us (John 14:2-3). Jesus has prepared a room for you. Which room is it? Are you like the foundation or pillars and sturdy? Are you close to the heart of God, in the center? Has God risen you to lofty heights? Or are you by the arms of the reredos, always in His embrace? Or are you by the slain lamb from the long suffering of this life? … Continue reading

Leave a comment

More Biblical Support for Bodily Mortification

In Part One, I gave an overview of the penitential practices of bodily mortification (particularly, use of the hair shirt or biblical sackcloth). Here I provide the relevant Scriptures (RSV), so that Catholics may substantiate the biblical nature of their practices.

Use of Sackcloth as a Sign of Repentance or Penitence
Matthew 11:21 Woe to you, Chora’zin! woe to you, Beth-sa’ida! for if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. (cf. Lk 10:13) …

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/darmstrong/more-biblical-support-for-bodily-mortification

Leave a comment

Pro Life Corner

Since legalizing abortion in 1973 the incidence of child abuse has soared at an alarming rate. Abortion weakens the social taboo against hurting the helpless and diminishes the value of life. If you don’t believe it, just watch the news. Abortions are 100% fatal to the baby and it’s never the baby’s “choice.” The abortion business makes a killing by getting away with murder! Lord, deliver us from the darkness of abortion and euthanasia.

Leave a comment

A Letter from an Elected Legislator

This is the response by Senator Dick Durbin about the bill S.311. Evidently he does not even recognize a baby outside of the womb as a human being. Just another disagreement, not many more millions murdered. S.311 protects babies born! It is not abortion, it is infanticide! No excuses! If you are willing to protect the LGTBQ community with laws that are already in place that protect them, then why not protect these living babies in the same way? Let Senator Durbin know that you disagree. 

March 7, 2019
Mr. Timothy Barr
229 Washington Place
Freeport, IL 61032-5171
Dear Mr. Barr:

Thank you for contacting me about the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act (S. 311). Though we disagree on this issue, I respect your deeply held views.
I believe that abortion should be safe and legal, consistent with Roe v. Wade. A decision that personal is best left to a woman, her family, her doctor, and her conscience. Although abortion is an issue that has divided Americans, I believe we can acknowledge a woman’s right to access safe reproductive health care services, while working to reduce the number of abortions.
The Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act, introduced by Senator Ben Sasse of Nebraska, was introduced with the stated purpose of ensuring that infants born alive during a failed abortion were not subsequently killed. … Continue reading

Leave a comment

Ash Wednesday Mass Times

8:00am School Mass at St Joseph Fr. Barr

8:00am English Mass at St Mary Fr. Diego
Sacristan – Ev Bouray
Servers – Needed
Lectors – Mark Rapp
Eucharistic Minister – Mark Rapp, Linda Nott,
Nancy Brooks
Ushers – Bob Bouray, Dave Warneke,
Needed

9:30am Mass at Presence Fr. Barr

5:30pm Mass at St Joseph Fr. Barr
Sacristan – Jean Mertz
Servers – Needed
Lectors – Pat Weigel, Scott Helms
Eucharistic Minister – Lana Schuck, Dee Roser,
Lisa Herrling
Ushers – John Berg, Mary Connors,
Dee Roser, Mike Schuck,
Mike Szula

7:00pm Spanish Mass at St Mary Fr. Diego

Leave a comment

Bishop Malloy’s Letter about the new bill introduced in Springfield

This is the letter from Bishop Malloy from Sunday, March 3, 2019:

These are the bills Bishop Malloy is referring to in the state of Illinois: HB 2467 and HB 2495 Continue reading